Monday, July 2, 2012

LAURYN HILL PLEADS GUILTY TO TAX EVASION




Lauryn Hill has taken the bold step by pleading guilty to intentionally failing to file her tax returns. The 37-year-old singer-rapper told a Federal Court on Friday, June 29, 2012.
According to TMZ, Hill confessed to ‘three counts of failure to file tax returns from 2005 to 2007’ where she is said to have earned within that period more than $1.8M.
When asked by the judge if she ‘intentionally and willingly’ refused to pay her taxes, Hill replied, ‘Yes’. The mother of six is now looking at a three year prison bid.
The eight-time Grammy Award-winning act had earlier poured out her mind in a lengthy article posted on her Tumblr.
My intention has always been to get this situation rectified. When I was working consistently without being affected by the interferences mentioned above, I filed and paid my taxes’, she wrote. ‘This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family’, she earlier wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment