Friday, June 1, 2012

‘I HAVE BEEN BLESSED’ – TIWA SAVAGE


Tiwa Savage


The first lady of the Mavin crew explains how eager she is to release here debut album and how she’d love to work with her favourite female artiste Brandy…
At what point did you decide to go into music as full time career?
I started singing in my early teens and almost immediately after, I got a gig to sing back up for George Michael. That’s how I transitioned into making music a profession, not just a hobby or passion.
Having lived abroad for a while, how were you able to break into the Nigerian music industry?
It was through the grace of God. I wrote Kele Kele as a demo song and played it for some people. A very close friend of mine, Bizzle Osikoya, believed in the song and played it for couples of DJ’s and radio station and it just caught on really fast. Ladies especially love it and from there I started getting some buzz. God has just been opening more doors for me ever since then.
You recently signed up for MAVIN records. Why did you leave your former record label to join MAVIN?
I haven’t left my label. I am still signed to 323 Entertainment, which is owned by Tunji Balogun and myself. We now have a partnership under MAVIN  records. This kind of partnership is very common in the United States. For example you have Young money under Cash money label, you also have G.O.O.D Music under Def Jam and so on.
You have four singles out, when should we expect an album?
Very soon, I am working so hard on putting finishing touches to the album. I want to show the different side of Tiwa Savage. I honestly don’t think I can capture it all on one album but I want people to see a glimpse of what different genre of music I can bring to the table.
I have been blessed because my audience is very wide; I have people that love Tiwa for her ballads, some for her up tempo club songs, and some for her jazzy neo-soul songs. So now, I need to create an album that has all those elements but still has a common thread running through it from the first to the last song.
You are one of the few leading ladies in the music industry; do you think the Nigeria music industry isn’t one which favours the female musicians?
I think the commercial aspect of the Nigeria music industry is still growing but it is growing fast and with every growing industry, new things take a while to catch on. Nigerians love female artistes and I believe we as females have been stepping out of our shell and so now there is a demand market for us. It is only going to get better for us. I have a lot of faith.
You are a very pretty lady, how do you deal with your male fans?
I appreciate their support. A lot of them love me more for my music and my gift and that means more to me than physical admiration.
What defines your sense of style?
I usually just wear what I like and feel comfortable with. I also have an amazing style team Veronica Ebi-Odeka (stylist), Debola Falana (hair), and Ify Ijeoma (make-up) that are constantly working hard to build an image that suits my music and personality.
You have few collabos with other Nigerian artiste, what should we expect in that angle on international scene?
I am focusing on my album right now, as it is my first. I haven’t reached out to any international artiste yet. But if I have to choose, I would love to do a song with Brandy as she is my all-time favourite.
You are also a songwriter, who is at the top of your list to write song for?
I would like to write for Beyonce, Brandy, Kim Burnell and Rihanna.
What’s next for Tiwa Savage?
More music, videos, shows, album and just using my music as a gift for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment