Friday, June 1, 2012

FROM MUSHIN TO MO’HITS TO MAVIN, IT’S BEEN A BLESSING’ – WANDE COAL


Wande Coal


In this interview culled from ThisDay Style, the talented singer says every moment in his career has been a blessing…
Tell us about your childhood
I grew up in Mushin and it was not always easy. But I had a very strict upbringing, even when boys were getting into all kind of mischiefs; I tried to stay clear of trouble. Music helped with that because as they are getting in trouble somewhere, you would find me in the church or somewhere singing.
How long have you been singing?
I have been singing ever since I was a kid. In choirs, on the streets, in school, everywhere…
Prior to your music career, what were you doing?
I was a hustler! I have done different jobs here and there but always, always God kept showing me the way back to music. I never left it for long.
You were a member of Mo’Hits records before it was dissolved, how were you signed up?
Back in 2005/2006, I was doing some singing in UNILAG when I first met Don Jazzy. He was very impressed and we have been together ever since.
When Mo’Hits record was dissolved, what was your reason for staying on with Don Jazzy on MAVIN records?
When I call Don Jazzy, Don Baba, it is for a reason. As far as music, he is my Baba. He is the one who has helped me mature as an artiste. So when we spoke in terms of MAVIN and the new movement, there really was no decision to be made.
What has been the highlight of your musical career so far?
Mushin to Mo’Hits to MAVIN. Each of those moments and everything between it has been a blessing.
What can’t you go a day without?
My sunglasses.
What should fans expect from you this year?
Everything! Singing, acting, dancing, (laughs). This year is all about growth for me. With MAVIN, the new album and everything. I think you can see maturity and growth in some of the new music, so fans expect some more lovely surprises when the album drops.
What does fashion and style mean to you?
I try to mix it up. Sometimes you may see me mixing dressy shoes with a formal look, you know. I just like to be as creative as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment